GRAHAM & BROWN ANNOUNCES WALLPAPER AND COLOR OF THE YEAR 2021
Each year, the UK’s leading wallpaper and paint specialists, Graham & Brown, announces its Wallpaper of the Year and Color of the Year. Drawing upon seventy five years of design and manufacturing experience in the field, the in-house design studio identifies key movements in the interiors sector and forecasts the future trends that will shape the Graham & Brown collections for the coming months.
Launching the 2021 collection from its design headquarters in Blackburn in a globally streamed digital showcase, the heritage brand presented Wallpaper of the Year: Timepiece and Color of the Year: Epoch, an expert fusion of archive material and contemporary components.
GRAHAM & BROWN WALLPAPER OF THE YEAR 2021: TIMEPIECE AMETHYST
Full of movement, color, and exuberance, the Graham & Brown Wallpaper of the Year marks the start of the 75 Anniversary celebrations of the brand which will run throughout 2021. Piecing together fragments from the Graham & Brown archive, Timepiece is an amalgamation of prints dating from 1946 to the present day. The result is a bold, innovative wallpaper that represents the essence of the Graham & Brown design philosophy.
Timepiece evokes an environment that is opulent, glamorous, and indulgent. Reminiscent of the lavish blooms and tangled stems of Dutch flower painting, the rich, jewel-toned color palette is enlivened with flashes of sunlit petals and vividly striped tulips. Hyacinth florets form an inviting textural juxtaposition to the large-scale arrangements featuring elegant magnolia blooms.
In addition to the Amethyst colorway, Timepiece is also available in Moonstone and Midnight palettes. For the first time ever the design can also be produced as a made-to-measure bespoke Mural of the Year: Timepiece, highlighting just how far wall covering production has developed from the fixed repeat surface print machines of 1946.
The Wallpaper of the Year and Color of the Year are shining examples Graham & Brown’s perfectly partnered paint and wallpaper offerings. Each wallpaper in the extensive Graham & Brown collection is mirrored by a perfectly matched hero paint color and three coordinating hues for a complimentary full room solution. Complementing the Wallpaper of the Year is the Color of the Year: Epoch, along with partnering shades Spiced Mulberry, Fondue, and Whale Tail.
“Design innovation has always been the driving force and the heartbeat of Graham & Brown throughout the years. The studio team love to delve into the pattern and print archives and discover hidden treasures that we can then reimagine with modern production techniques and new color compositions, presenting a twist on the latest interior trends. A great deal of craftsmanship goes into the making of each archive artwork and we believe that is something to be cherished and celebrated,to be able to breathe new life into this material and let it have a new place within our history is something we love to do.”
-Maryanne Cartwright, Design Studio Manager at Graham & Brown
GRAHAM & BROWN COLOR OF THE YEAR 2021: EPOCH
To complement the Timepiece wallpaper design, Graham & Brown has announced its Color of the Year 2021: Epoch. A directional shade of plum, Epoch pinpoints the richest purple tone in the Timepiece wallpaper and amplifies it, channeling the revelry, regality, and luxury associated with the shade. A calming, cocooning tone, Epoch echoes a wider interior trend which looks to create restful spaces for healthier, happier homes.
“Time is an overarching theme that winds its way through each thread of our 2021 Trends Forecast. As the world we live in continues to shift and evolve at an ever-increasing rate, we look toward the future through the lens of nostalgia. We’ve explored how the future has been envisioned throughout history and how time is often considered the most precious commodity of all. Both Timepiece and Epoch contemplate on the passing of time and what can be discovered should we embrace the opportunity to recharge, reflect, and rediscover our history.”
-Paula Taylor, Color & Trends Specialist at Graham & Brown
Abby Hesketh, Product Manager and Paint & Color Specialist at Graham & Brown has shared her expert tips for styling the Graham & Brown Color of the Year: Epoch within the home:
● “Tonal pairings are a great way to make use of rich, expressive shades while still keeping things fairly safe. Epoch works brilliantly when used as a feature wall partnered with lighter hues of lavender and heather – this will soften the impact of the darker color while ensuring that all walls of the room tie together cohesively.
● If drama is your goal, then try pairing Epoch with other equally vivid colors. Partnering Epoch with shades of teal will result in an opulent, peacock-inspired look, while adding pops of peach can shape a playful yet sophisticated space.
● Color-blocking is a creative way to incorporate Epoch into a space. Below you’ll see a super easy geometric design using just three Graham & Brown paints – Epoch, Spiced Mulberry, and B aby Powder; the result is a light and airy feature that would make a fun addition to a kid’s bedroom, playroom, or even a lounge.
● A trend we’ve noticed gathering momentum is pale walls paired with skirting boards and doors painted in a darker shade. This is a great way to highlight the architectural features of a room and adds a cozy element while still building depth and structure as we head into the autumn and winter months. Use Epoch across all the woodwork within a room and pair with either a lighter shade of purple for a sophisticated tonal scheme, or with a mid-grey with warm undertones for lightweight feel.
● Finally, consider creating a drop ceiling effect by using Epoch on the ceiling but then continuing the color down to picture rail height – this is one of my favorite interiors trends and will work well with any of the perfectly partnered Graham & Brown paint shades.”
About Graham & Brown:
For over seventy years, Graham & Brown has inspired people to think differently about their walls through continuous innovation, creativity, and craftsmanship. Founded by two friends – Harold Graham and Henry Brown, the business has been family-run from its Headquarters in Blackburn,Lancashire since 1946. Now the UK’s leading wallpaper manufacturer, Graham & Brown has expanded its collection to include paint, murals, wall art and soft furnishings. Graham & Brown is sold internationally to over seventy-five countries through its divisions in North America, France, Holland, Russia, China and Australia.