Third Man Records is excited to announce Vault Package #49: Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 16 (1980-1985). In conjunction with Sony/Legacy, Third Man will release this 4xLP collection (pressed at Third Man Pressing in Detroit) full of previously unreleased outtakes, mixes and more, complete with a 16-page booklet of liner notes and track notations and four uniquely-colored LPs in their own individual LP sleeves, all housed together in an impressive custom slipcase. The songs on the Third Man Vault will be the ONLY vinyl release of those 42 songs. There is NO material overlap between the 2xLP version from Sony/Legacy and the 4xLP release from Third Man. Sign up is open now through July 31 at midnight CT.
In the early 1980s, while the music industry was grappling with the arrival of new trends and technology, from MTV to compact discs to digital recording, Bob Dylan was writing and recording new songs for a new decade, creating an essential new chapter in his studio catalog. The latest in Columbia/Legacy’s highly acclaimed Bob Dylan Bootleg Series revisits an often-forgotten, rich vein in Dylan’s vast and complex catalog, shining fresh light on the provocative new musical directions Dylan was taking as a songwriter and a recording artist from 1980 through 1985. Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York (1980-1985) celebrates the rich creative period surrounding Dylan’s albums Shot Of Love, Infidels, and Empire Burlesque with previously unreleased outtakes, alternate takes, rehearsal recordings, live performances and more.
Third Man Records, in conjunction with Sony/Legacy, is humbled to release a limited edition 4LP vinyl collection of Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series Vol. 16 (1980-1985) as their 49th Vault package. Pressed on gold, violet, orange and purple discs at the state-of-the-art Third Man Pressing facility in Detroit, the set includes a 16-page booklet of liner notes and track notations, as well as individual LP sleeves all housed together in an impressive slipcase.
Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series Vol. 16 (1980-1985) is also available in a deluxe 5xCD boxset as well as 2xCD and 2xLP 12” vinyl highlight packages. The songs on the Third Man Vault will be the ONLY vinyl release of those 42 songs. There is NO material overlap between the 2xLP version from Sony/Legacy and the 4xLP release from Third Man.
LP One of Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series Vol. 16 (1980-1985) was recorded in 1980 and 1981 and finds Dylan rehearsing a variety of his own catalog compositions (“Señor (Tales of Yankee Power)”), rearranging some traditional folk tunes (“Jesus Met the Woman at the Well,” “Mary of the Wild Moor”) and revving up a selection of surprising covers (“Mystery Train” featuring Ringo Starr, “Fever,” “Abraham, Martin and John”) with a group of musicians including Frank Fred Tackett (guitar), David Mansfield (mandolin), Willie Smith (keyboards), Tim Drummond (bass), Jim Keltner (drums) and background vocals by Clydie King, Carolyn Dennis, Gwen Evans, and Regina McCrary.
LP Two of Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York (1980-1985) is devoted to outtakes and alternate takes of recordings, produced by Chuck Plotkin for Shot of Love, as well as material Bob Dylan wrote for Infidels, performed by the all-star band assembled for the album, produced by Bob Dylan and Mark Knopfler, which featured Knopfler (guitar), Mick Taylor (guitar), Alan Clark (keyboards), Robbie Shakespeare (bass) and Sly Dunbar (drums).
LP Four of the album includes live tracks (“Enough Is Enough” from Slane Castle, Ireland, and “License to Kill” from Late Night with David Letterman, March 22, 1984) alongside alternate takes and outtakes from the Empire Burlesque sessions, produced by Bob Dylan, including the premiere of the new song “Straight A’s in Love.”
According to the Producer’s Note in the album: “The alternate takes selected for this set are different than the ones released on previous volumes of The Bootleg Series. They are included here to illustrate the musical journey Bob Dylan undertook during these years.”
In his liner notes for Bob Dylan – Springtime In New York, Damien Love writes, “And that’s the real story of this gloriously untrammeled collection. The songs. The songs stripped free of trappings, tampering, passing tastes, and judgements. The songs broken down to the sound of people really doing this, right now, acting on instinct. The songs rough and rowdy, bruised and tender, joking and crying, nagging and striving and yearning. The songs were always there, and here they are still, keeping pace with us.”
Fans have only until July 31st to subscribe to Third Man Records Vault, where they will automatically receive this package. Visit here to sign up.
Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 16 (1980-1985)
Third Man Records 4-LP Set
- Señor (Tales of Yankee Power) – Rehearsal
- Jesus Met the Woman at the Well – Rehearsal
- Mary of the Wild Moor – Rehearsal
- A Couple More Years – Rehearsal
- This Night Won’t Last Forever – Rehearsal
- Mystery Train – Shot of Love outtake
- We Just Disagree – Rehearsal
- Let’s Keep It Between Us – Rehearsal
- Fever – Rehearsal
- Abraham, Martin and John – Rehearsal
- Angelina – Shot of Love outtake
- Price of Love – Shot of Love outtake
- I Wish It Would Rain – Shot of Love outtake
- Let It Be Me – International 7” Single B-side*
- Donߣt Ever Take Yourself Away – Shot of Love outtake*
- Cold, Cold Heart – Shot of Love outtake
- Is It Worth It? – Shot of Love outtake
- Borrowed Time – Shot of Love outtake
- Yes Sir, No Sir – Shot of Love outtake
- This Was My Love – Infidels outtake
- Donߣt Fall Apart on Me Tonight [version 2] – Infidels alternate take
- Neighborhood Bully – Infidels alternate take
- Too Late [acoustic version] – Infidels outtake
- Clean Cut Kid – Infidels outtake
- Baby What You Want Me to Do – Infidels outtake
- Foot of Pride – Infidels outtake
- I and I – Infidels alternate take
- Green, Green Grass of Home – Infidels outtake
- Union Sundown – Infidels alternate take
- Lord Protect My Child – Infidels outtake
- Tell Me – Infidels outtake
- Enough is Enough [live] – Slane Castle, Ireland
- License to Kill [live] – Late Night with David Letterman, March 22, 1984
- Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground – Infidels outtake
- Julius and Ethel – Infidels outtake
- I’ll Remember You – Empire Burlesque alternate take
- When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky [slow version] – Empire Burlesque alternate take
- Tight Connection to My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love) – Empire Burlesque alternate mix
- Emotionally Yours – Empire Burlesque alternate take
- Clean Cut Kid – Empire Burlesque alternate take,
- Straight A’s in Love – Empire Burlesque outtake
- When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky [fast version] – Empire Burlesque alternate take
All tracks previously unreleased except *