Since 2022/2023, Leipzig, the seventh-most populous city in Germany with more than 600,000 residents, is a destination worth seeing! In the state of Saxony, it is the city with the highest population. Leipzig is encircled by water, parks, and floodplain forest. Thanks to its numerous bike paths and its extensive system of small rivers and canals, it is easy to get around the green city on foot, by bike, by boat or canoe – alternatively, there is a complex public bus and tram network.
When we arrived, we immediately checked into Felix Suiten. Undisputed accommodation, carrying loft like suites that felt like a spacious home. With massive windows and a kitchenette, it was my chance to catch up on some cooking. Our room was right in front of the city center, which was loaded with shopping, restaurants, and nightlife.
With the giant Ferris wheel just outside our third-floor window, we were charmed by the chatter and loud laughter. And if it didn’t offer us the excitement, the music from the fourth floor lounge in tandem with the restaurant aroma prompted us to join the party. Regardless of the frigid temperatures of late December, we spotted several on bicycles, traveling by taxi and/or tram. In fact, much of the crowd seemed physically fit while they drank hot apple cider and swallowed delicious fingerfoods.
The Art Scene
Leipzig is recognized for its exceptional art and fascinating outdoor recreation environment. It is often referred to as a city of vibrant trade, business, and music. 360 Magazine’s guided visit of Spinnerei offered a glance at this dynamic art scene. Spinnerei, formerly the largest cotton mill of continental Europe, is now home to galleries, exhibition halls, and artist studios. Since its decommissioning in 1992, the factory has been subject to constant change. Artists have developed the cotton mill into a real cosmos of art. Meanwhile, about 100 of them have their own studios at the Spinnerei, along with 11 galleries and the non-profit space Halle 14. A key figure of the so-called “New Leipzig School” is artist Neo Rauch, who was one of the first to set up his studio there.
Mule Café: https://mule-spinnerei.de/
A Guided Walking Tour
Next, a guided tour through the Plagwitz neighborhood maintained focus on arts and fashion as well as some culinary tips. The city was adorned with various fashion stores like Modeatelier Rosentreter and Garderobe Westwerk.
Listen to EcoFashion designer Sandra Jahn, while tour guide translates, chat with Vaughn Lowery about EcoFashion on 360 MAG podcast HERE
Robyn Chamberlain is a virtuous goldsmith and handweaver. She completed a bachelor’s degree in jewelry design at NSCAD in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Upon graduation in 2012, this Canadian artisan decided to relocate to Germany.
As of late, Robyn was mentioned on 360’s Most Interesting listing.
The Karl-Liebknecht-Straße offers a distinct opportunity to interact with many different trends found in Leipzig’s Southern District. The street is one of the best known in Leipzig, and it is reminiscent of early squatter scenes and club culture. The street is accompanied by many bars and pubs, as well as outdoor seating areas, usually used throughout the summer months.
The high-quality spirits are produced by Leipziger Spirituosen Manufaktur: https://www.leipziger-spirituosen-manufaktur.de/
Deepmello + friends : https://www.deepmello.com.de/
Life in Leipzig
Leipzig is quite special, both in terms of commerce and industry, as well as in terms of music, culture, and history. There are several colleges, universities and research centers in this city, which allows for a very diversified city. The University of Leipzig is the second-oldest university in Germany with a founding date of 1409.
According to an interview between Dana Marschner and our president, Lowery, Mrs. Marschner stated that her favorite aspect of Leipzig was the close proximity of just about everything. She continued by highlighting the constant transformation of the city that never stands still, spreading good vibes and offering a high quality of your stay!
Leipzig uses environmental zone badges as part of its effort to improve its environmental footprint. A green badge is required for all drivers to enter Leipzig. Only drivers of motor vehicles with a low level of air pollution are permitted entry. Drivers who don’t comply with this condition are fined. This enhances the impact of their environmental footprint in Leipzig. Whether looking to embrace a wide variety of cultures, continue studies at a prestigious institution or wanting explore a new way of life; Leipzig has it all.
- Velo City Leipzig 9-12 May 2023: https://velo-city2023.com/
You can go on a digital bike tour with the mayor of Leipzig -> see the 7-minute video
- Bach Festival Leipzig 8-18 June 2023: https://www.bachfestleipzig.de/en/bachfest
Everyone can participate in the climate friendly project “A Forest for Bach”
- Euro 2024 Host City Leipzig 14 June – 14 July 2024: https://de.uefa.com/euro2024/hosts/leipzig/
The German Football Association (DFB) – which was founded in Leipzig in 1900 – has published a sustainability concept that contains 24 lighthouse projects
Leipzig City Center
- St Nicolas Church – Place of the Peaceful Revolution 1989: https://www.leipzig.travel/en/poi/st-nicholas-church
- St Thomas Church – Home of the St Thomas Boys Choir: https://www.thomanerchor.de/
- Mädler Passage Leipzig: https://www.maedlerpassage.de/en/
- Museum of City History in the Old Town Hall: https://www.stadtgeschichtliches-museum-leipzig.de/en/
- Museum of the Fine Arts: https://mdbk.de/en/
- “Runde Ecke” Memorial Museum: https://www.runde-ecke-leipzig.de/
- GRASSI Museum of Applied Arts: https://www.grassimak.de/en/
- Christmas market stroll. Visit here: https://www.leipzig.travel/en/discover/experience/christmas-in-the-leipzig-region
- Zoo Leipzig with tropical hall “Gondwanaland”: https://www.zoo-leipzig.de/en/
- Castle “Gohliser Schlösschen”: https://gohliserschloesschen.de/
- Museum of the Printing Arts: https://www.druckkunst-museum.de/en/home.html
- Digital Art Center Kunstkraftwerk Leipzig: https://www.kunstkraftwerk-leipzig.com/de/
- Spinnerei Galleries: https://www.spinnerei.de/
- Panometer Leipzig – 360 degree panoramas: https://www.panometer.de/en/leipzig/our-exhibitions
- Völkerschlachtdenkmal – Monument of the Battle of the Nations: https://www.stadtgeschichtliches-museum-leipzig.de/en/visit/our-museums/monument-of-the-battle-of-the-nations/
- Belantis Theme Park: https://www.belantis.de/en
Leipzig Lakeland – 20 lakes surrounding Leipzig: https://www.leipzig.travel/en/discover/active/lakes-and-waterways