OVOLO HOTELS LAUNCHES “DO GOOD, FEEL GOOD” SUSTAINABILITY INITIATIVE
Ovolo Hotels, the award-winning lifestyle hotel collection with properties in Australia, Hong Kong and Bali, has announced the launch of its brand-wide “Do Good, Feel Good” sustainability initiative, including the “Green Perk” pledge to plant a tree, in association with Eden Reforestation Projects, for every direct booking at its hotels.
“Do Good, Feel Good” follows Ovolo’s vegetarian “Plant’d” pledge and features the following key highlights across the two key pillars of “Planet” and “People”:
- Beginning on November 1, 2022, Ovolo will partner with Eden Reforestation Projects to plant one tree in Nepal for every direct booking at any Ovolo property, as part of its “Green Perk” program.
- Working with EarthCheck to ensure all actions are science-backed, strategic and sustainable.
- The Plant’d Pledge which promotes vegetarian and plant-based cuisine across Ovolo Hotels restaurants and bars.
- A commitment to reduce food waste by 50% by 2030.
- Designing new hotels responsibly to include sustainable materials and fittings and achieve Green Certification for all Ovolo-owned new-build hotels.
- Eliminating single-use plastics by 2023.
- Measuring and managing carbon emissions, water, waste and energy consumption.
- Sourcing locally and organically wherever possible.
- Protecting the mental and physical well-being of employees and increasing development and learning opportunities for all.
- Providing education, nutrition and healthcare for disadvantaged children in Indonesia and Hong Kong:
- Ovolo has partnered with Bali Children’s Foundation, which help thousands of children complete school, find employment, and improve their lives and the life of their community. Ovolo has sponsored a school in Bali with classroom upgrades, class delivery for a year and a stationery kit for each student in the elementary school of SDN 3 Sidetapa in North Bali. www.balichildrenfoundation.org
- Ensuring a 50/50 breakdown of women and men in management positions by 2025.
- Doubling fundraising efforts by 2025.
- Promoting local art, culture and history to support local communities.
“Our commitments go beyond environmental indicators and include issues such as celebrating diversity and inclusion, supporting children and schools, sourcing locally and building hotels that give back to their communities in a meaningful way,” said Dave Baswal, Ovolo Group Chief Executive Officer. “We want to make better choices for ourselves and the planet and play our part in ensuring a better future for all.”
Whenever guests book directly with Ovolo, they will receive a message after their stay with details of where their tree has been planted and the corresponding impact on the environment. In the spirit of transparency to its guests, staff and investors, and in a continual effort to improve its sustainability credentials, Ovolo has also committed to producing an annual sustainability report, verified by a third-party auditor.
“Transparency and alignment with initiatives and sustainability development goals is key for us; we don’t just want to talk the talk, but we want to be held accountable to walk the walk too,” Dave Baswal concluded.
For more information, visit www.ovologroup.com/do-good-feel-good
The Ovolo Group was founded by entrepreneur Girish Jhunjhnuwala and first entered the real estate market in 2002; then further expanded into the hotel industry in 2010. Ovolo Hotels quickly became one of Hong Kong and Australia’s most dynamic independent owner operated hospitality firms by providing guests with the best in effortless living across hotels and food and beverage outlets.
The Ovolo Group is a collection of contemporary hotels that keep you connected to the little luxuries you love, all effortlessly included. The company prides itself on being in touch with the modern traveler through award-winning interior designs, detail-driven comforts, complimentary value-added services like the mini bar and breakfast, with cutting-edge technology. Ovolo Hotels have been acknowledged for Hotel and Accommodation Excellence, receiving the accolade “Hotel Brand of the Year”, at the 2019 and 2020 HM Awards.
A proud Hong Kong brand, Ovolo Group remains a family-owned and privately-operated business operating four hotels and three restaurants in Hong Kong, and eight hotels and seven restaurants across Australia in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Brisbane.
Ovolo also has the By Ovolo Collective within its portfolio of hotels, a distinctive collection of four hotels each one unique, each one special, the more guests explore, the more they’ll find. These include Nishi Apartments in Canberra Australia, The Sheung Wan by Ovolo and The Aberdeen Harbour in Hong Kong, and Mamaka Kuta Beach in Bali Indonesia.
As of March 2021, Dash Living collaborated with Ovolo Hotels to launch two new generation of serviced rental solutions in Hong Kong. A total of 135 rooms and suites that form part of a new generation of serviced rental solutions for hyper-mobile millennials will be available for booking. The Aberdeen by Dash Living, soon-to-be converted from Mojo Nomad By Ovolo, offers 79 rooms ranging from studios to executive suites. The 56-room The Sheung Wan By Ovolo, only remaining under Ovolo’s management for stays under 7 days, will offer units from studio, one bedroom, to family room options.
Ovolo acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the lands on which we are located. We recognize their continuing connection to land, waters and culture, and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.