In light of the music industry gathering Sunday for the 61st annual Grammy Awards, a new Morning Consult/The Hollywood Reporter survey reveals Americans expect film soundtracks to win big at this year’s ceremony.
The survey, conducted among 2,000 U.S. adults, asked consumers who they think should win some of the most popular categories, including Best New Artist and Best Rap Song.
Americans expect Kendrick Lamar, Lady Gaga to win big at the Grammys: Respondents could play each nominated song, or each nominated album or artist’s most popular song, before voting in the poll. Americans were most likely to predict Kendrick Lamar and Lady Gaga as winners in the album, record, and song of the year categories. Full list:
- Album Of The Year: Various Artists (Kendrick Lamar) ‘Black Panther: The Album’
- Record Of The Year: Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper ‘Shallow’
- Song of The Year: Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper ‘Shallow’
- Best New Artist: Luke Combs
- Best Rap Song: Drake ‘God’s Plan,’
- Best R&B Song: Toni Braxton ‘Long As I Live’
- Best Rock Song: Greta Van Fleet ‘Black Smoke Rising’
- Best Country Song: Blake Shelton ‘I Lived It’
Meanwhile, younger consumers think differently: Young adults (18-29) were more likely to predict Cardi B and Childish Gambino as winners in the major categories. Full list:
- Album Of The Year: Cardi B ‘Invasion of Privacy’
- Record Of The Year: Cardi B ‘I Like It’
- Song Of The Year: Childish Gambino ‘This Is America’
- Best New Artist: Dua Lipa
- Best Rap Song: Drake ‘God’s Plan’
- Best R&B Song: Ella Mai ‘Boo’d Up’
- Best Rock Song: Twenty One Pilots ‘Jumpsuit’
- Best Country Song: Dan + Shay ‘Tequila’
Media contact: T. Anthony Patterson, email@example.com, 347-422-3105
This poll was conducted from Dec. 7-9, 2018 among a national sample of 2,201 U.S. adults. The interviews were conducted online and the data were weighted to approximate a target sample based on age, race/ethnicity, gender, educational attainment, and region. Results from the survey have a margin of error of +/- 2 percentage points.
About Morning Consult
Named one of the fastest growing technology companies in North America by Deloitte, Morning Consult is revolutionizing ways to collect, organize, and share survey research data to transform how global leaders in business and government make decisions.
Morning Consult provides research, news, and brand-tracking technology for over 200 of the world’s biggest companies and industry associations. Additionally, Morning Consult conducts regular surveys for major media organizations including POLITICO, The Hollywood Reporter, Bloomberg, and The New York Times.