There are essentially three methods for essential oils to incorporate into the body either through absorption into the skin, inhalation, or ingestion. For each of these methods, there comes a variety of techniques for application. It’s important to note that the substances are not to have direct application to the skin without having dilution with a carrier oil. Typically, you would use a teaspoon of the carrier such as a vegetable or nut oil or even water in combination with three drops of the pure compound.
Essential Oil Application
The method that you use for application will depend on the effect that you want and which substance you choose. Some oils irritate the skin meaning they would not be appropriate for the topical method. A more appropriate technique may be inhalation for which you could try this application, a refillable essential oil vape pen alternatively. The condition will play a part as well in determining which technique you choose.
- In most instances wound care will involve the topical method.
- Inhalation or topicals will be more useful for mood-related effects, but the suggestion is that inhalation may be more fast-acting.
- In a steam bath, both inhalation and topical absorption note to be useful.
- Ingesting or swallowing essential oils is not recommended due to the damage that it can cause to the body. However, they can be useful when added to water and gargled. After gargling, you should spit out. You should not swallow any of the solutions. An example is a drop of tea tree oil in combination with a glass of water notes to be useful for a sore throat.
For those who don’t know how to use their aromatherapy most productively, consulting with a qualified aroma-therapist is advisable for guidance.
Carrier Oil Guidelines
Natural food shops or bath and body stores that specialize in natural products will offer conventional carrier oils for use in diluting essential oils for use as topicals on the skin. Those carriers deemed to be cold-pressed or organic are the recommendation with examples such as apricot kernel, sweet almond, avocado, jojoba, grapeseed. These don’t offer a strong smell on their own and should be kept cold until use (in the refrigerator) and discarded if they become rancid. Typically, these substances will last up to a year when kept in the fridge. Ne mindful of potential risks with the chemical as advised at http://www.webmd.com/beauty/news/20180813/essential-oils-promise-help-but-beware-the-risks.
Lavender is among the very few that can go undiluted on small places of the skin. Pure lavender has benefits for cuts or minor burns or, when inhaled, promotes sleep and relaxation.
The Benefits Provided Through Aromatherapy
The claim is that essential oils in combination with appropriate medical/holistic care from a healthcare practitioner can support the prevention of certain illnesses and assist in boosting the immune system. They note to have antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties that help in preventing certain illnesses from developing.
The immune system boasts as benefitting from the substances being breathed in through the lungs and absorbed into the bloodstream.
- Colds are less likely when the passageways are kept clear of bacteria and congestion through the use of peppermint, tea tree, and eucalyptus.
- When inhaled, various oils, including sage, oregano, cinnamon, frankincense, and eucalyptus note to boost the immune system’s function.
- A potent antifungal, antibacterial, is tea tree that boasts of having the capability of preventing fungus and cuts from turning into serious infections.
- The claim is that patients diagnosed with Lyme disease have seen success in the immune system boosting through the use of clove.
- Oregano touts as being a strong antibacterial capable of helping to heal infections within the body and keeping them from turning into more severe ailments.
- Garlic boasts of fighting a variety of viral, fungal, and bacterial infections with its noted healing properties. Learn here the basics of what these substances are.
In taking time to understand what each oil’s capabilities are, you have the potential to support your medical provider in the treatment plan of healing the mind and body using what touts to be a safe and natural technique. Aromatherapy has been around for many centuries boasting as an efficient benefit against a diverse group of ailments.