– Jaguar brand’s 50 years of XJ celebrations begin with bespoke Jaguar Classic commission for Iron Maiden drummer and life-long Jaguar enthusiast ‘Nicko’
– Nicko’s classic 1984 XJ6 Series 3 features a host of custom touches inspired by all five decades of Jaguar XJ production, and McBrain’s heavy metal heritage
– ‘Greatest Hits’ XJ is a collaboration between Nicko, the expert engineers and craftsmen at Jaguar Land Rover Classic Works and Jaguar Design studio director Wayne Burgess
– Bespoke XJ unveiled at Geneva International Motor Show March 6 during the Jaguar Land Rover press conference
Today, at the Geneva Motor Show, Jaguar Classic is proud to present Iron Maiden drummer Nicko McBrain’s custom-built ‘Greatest Hits’ Jaguar XJ6, kicking-off the XJ model’s 50th anniversary celebrations in 2018.
The bespoke commission is a collaboration between Nicko, the expert engineers and craftsmen at Jaguar Land Rover Classic Works in Coventry and Jaguar Design Studio Director Wayne Burgess. The project involved more than 3,500 man hours of work, with more than 4,000 parts refinished, replaced or redesigned. Unlike any 1984 XJ6 before, it incorporates substantial modifications to the exterior, interior, drivetrain and suspension, resulting in Nicko’s dream XJ.
Tim Hannig, Jaguar Land Rover Classic director, said, “Creating this ‘Greatest Hits’ XJ, and the whole process of bringing someone’s automotive dream to life, has been extraordinarily rewarding for the Jaguar Classic team. It’s been a pleasure to work with Nicko and we’re looking forward to hearing the reaction to this project.”
Iron Maiden drummer Nicko McBrain, said, “This is my ultimate XJ – my third, and lovingly, named ‘Johnny 3’. It has been a true labor of love between Jaguar Classic and myself. I’m so excited by its completion and especially to be showing it at Geneva – it really is a Greatest Hits edition and to me it defines what the Jaguar XJ is all about. It’s a credit to the craftsmanship of the Jaguar Classic team. We couldn’t have timed it better, this being the 50th anniversary of XJ – my favorite of all Jaguar vehicles.”
Key features include:
· Unique front and rear bumpers – seamlessly blended in to the modified fenders with bespoke chrome brightwork and flush-fit US side markers
· Flared and re-profiled front and rear wheel arches accommodating bespoke 18-inch wire wheels fitted with 235/45 R18 Pirelli P Zero tires
· Unique sills and modified rear door pressings
· Uprated front and rear suspension with adjustable rear dampers
· Unique Mauve paint finish
· Conversion to elegant Series 2 XJ door handles and bullet wing mirrors
· Conversion to LED headlights with ‘Halo’ daytime running light signature
· Conversion to recessed twin fuel fillers
· Modern door sealing for reduced wind noise, and additional sound deadening
· Integrated touch screen operating satnav, phone, rear view camera and in-car entertainment
· Re-trimmed interior with modified seat foams improving refinement
· Bespoke audio system with USB connectivity, featuring guitar amplifier-inspired control knobs machined from aluminum
· In-dash starter button
· Uprated air-conditioning
· Remote central locking
Inside, classic Jaguar style meets modern day convenience. The leather seats are hand trimmed in Pimento Red with black piping and embossed head rests, while a black hand-crafted carpet and Alcantara headlining finishes off the trim. The dashboard features Dark Grey stained Sycamore veneers – the preferred material for Nicko’s favorite snare drums.
Further nods to the owner’s art include machined aluminum rotary controls on the dashboard – inspired by the control knobs of the guitar amplifiers created by Nicko’s great friend Jim Marshall, and drum kit inspired pedals finished in chrome and black. The custom three-spoke sports steering wheel features Nicko’s unique mascot – the ‘Eddie Growler’, first seen on his specially commissioned 2013 Jaguar XKR-S.
Bespoke soft down lighting illuminates the revised dashboard, in which a state-of-the-art Alpine touch screen controls the 1100W sound system, powering speakers from Nicko’s preferred Jaguar audio installation, the 2012MY Jaguar XF.
Incorporating a number of reconditioned parts from McBrain’s original XJ6, the 4.2-litre in-line six-cylinder engine features three 2-inch SU carburettors from the E-type – Nicko’s favorite set up. Machined quad-exhaust tail pipes finish-off a specially-designed exhaust system.
Preserved components from Nicko’s first XJ6, which spent many years on the grounds of the home of Iron Maiden bass guitarist Steve Harrisfollowing Nicko’s move to America, are present elsewhere in the build too: from the iconic Jaguar leaper hood mascot, which first attracted Nicko to buy the car, to the original ignition keys from 1984.
# # #
Jaguar is a premier manufacturer of luxury sedans, sports cars and SUVs offering unparalleled design with tremendous performance. The company’s vision throughout its storied 80 year history has been simple: To produce beautiful, fast cars that are desired the world over. Jaguar strives to provide a world class ownership experience to every owner. Today’s Jaguar lineup consists of the Jaguar XE and XF sports sedans, the XJ full-size luxury sedan, the two-seat F-TYPE sports car and a line of performance SUVs, the E-PACE and F-PACE. Jaguar designs, engineers and manufactures exclusively in the United Kingdom, at the Castle Bromwich and Solihull manufacturing plants in the British Midlands. Jaguar is fully engaged with sustainability initiatives and social concerns with continuous involvement in environmental and community programs. For more information, visit the official Jaguar website at www.jaguarusa.com.
About Jaguar Land Rover
Jaguar Land Rover is the UK’s largest automotive manufacturer, built around two iconic British car brands: Land Rover, the world’s leading manufacturer of premium all-wheel-drive vehicles; and Jaguar, one of the world’s premier luxury sports saloon and sports car marques.
We employ more than 43,000 people globally and support around 240,000 more through our dealerships, suppliers and local businesses. Manufacturing is centred in the UK, with additional plants in China, Brazil, Austria and Slovakia.
At Jaguar Land Rover, we are driven by a desire to deliver class-leading vehicles, which will provide experiences our customers will love, for life. Our products are in demand around the globe. In 2017 Jaguar Land Rover sold 621,109 vehicles in 130 countries, with more than 80 per cent of our vehicles being sold abroad.
Our innovation is continuous: we will spend more than £4 billion in the coming year on new product creation and capital expenditure.
From 2020 all new Jaguar Land Rover vehicles will be electrified, giving our customers even more choice. We will introduce a portfolio of electrified products across our model range, embracing fully electric, plug-in hybrid and mild hybrid vehicles as well as continuing to offer ultra-clean petrol and diesel engines.
About Jaguar Land Rover Classic
Jaguar Land Rover Classic is the official source of authentic cars, expert services, genuine parts and unforgettable experiences for classic Jaguar and Land Rover enthusiasts worldwide.
Our rapidly growing team of highly-skilled engineers, graduates and apprentices at the Jaguar Land Rover Classic Works facility in Coventry specializes in outstanding Reborn restorations for both brands, and building exclusive New Original
continuation cars, such as the Jaguar Lightweight E-type and XKSS.