Knowing how to properly care for and clean your jewelry will help keep it sparkling for years to come, but it can be difficult to know the best way to clean them as different gemstones and metals require special care.
See below for expert tips from Kim Kanary, Certified Diamontologist and Vice President of Community Development & Engagement at JTV about important care details for many different gemstones on how to simply and safely clean your jewelry at home.
EXPERT TIPS FROM KIM KANARY:
Guidelines for Cleaning Jewelry:
- Generally, you can use lukewarm water, mild dish soap or jewelry cleaner, a soft cloth, or a soft bristle toothbrush.
- In a small bowl, prepare a cleaning solution by mixing two tablespoons of mild dishwashing liquid with one quart of lukewarm water. Or, if you are using a commercial jewelry cleaner, be sure to follow all instructions, and make sure the expiration date has not passed since an expired cleaner may be ineffective or perhaps even damage your jewelry.
- To clean: soak for 10-20 minutes, gently brush all sides, rinse with clean water, pat dry with a clean cloth. You can repeat this as much as you’d like to achieve the desire cleanliness and appearance.
For Silver Jewelry:
- First, try simply polishing it. To polish, use a silver or microfiber cloth and use long back-and-forth motions. Avoid rubbing in circles, as this can magnify small scratches.
- If simple polishing doesn’t deliver the desired level of shine, following the cleaning guidelines above for a full cleaning of your jewelry.
For Gold Jewelry:
- Follow the general cleaning guidelines above.
For Gold-Plated Jewelry:
- Rub gently with a soft cloth to restore shine.
- If more cleaning is needed, follow the general cleaning guidelines above.
For Earrings with Gemstones:
- Avoid all commercial jewelry cleaning solutions.
- For more specific care tips, review our Gemstone Enhancement and Care Chart.
- Because glue is often used to attach stones, be extra cautious when cleaning.
- Wipe gently with a clean, damp cloth and use as little water as possible.
- Dry with a soft, absorbent cloth.
- Let air dry before wearing or storing.
How to keep your jewelry clean & sparkling:
- Earrings should be the last thing you put on and first thing you take off. This will help you avoid getting hair or other products on your earrings, which can dirty or damage them.
- Wipe all jewelry with a soft, dry cloth when you take it off.
- Be sure to properly store your jewelry. If you prefer a jewelry box, place each piece in its own pouch or plastic bag.
- Make sure jewelry is completely dry before storing.
- Avoid wearing jewelry when bathing, swimming, or exercising
JTV is the leading retailer of jewelry and gemstones in the United States. With a proven 26-year history, JTV leverages an omni-digital strategy designed to elevate the customer experience through holistic, digitally-driven touch points, including live TV programming, 24 hours a day, seven days a week to 85 million U.S. households, an industry leading mobile optimized e-commerce platform, and a robust and engaging social media presence. As part of its commitment to customer satisfaction and the development and distribution of educational content, the company employs numerous Graduate Gemologists and Accredited Jewelry Professionals. JTV.com is one of the largest jewelry e-commerce websites in the country according to Internet Retailer’s Top 500 list for 2017.